Thursday, May 7, 2009

Day 4

We didnt have class today! So nice. So we started off the day going to a local high school for gifted students. The high school presentation was hard to understand. I'm not sure if it was because of the translator or just the vice principle. But the students there were very interesting. I talked to a girl named Boa?? I probably spelled that completely wrong haha. She had so many questions ready, I was very impressed. She asked me what my score was on the SAT and SAT 2. She said she was looking at schools like stanford and minnesota, and researching some schools in boston. She wanted to study chemistry and become a doctor, but she always wanted to be an actor. I was very impressed by not only her goals but how good her english was. For living in vietnam her whole life, she was very good at speaking our language, and even said phrases like "O my god" and "whatever" haha. She explained that the critical reading portion of the SAT was very difficult for her and made her nervous. After the high school we went in search of food. I found a street side vendor who sold me chicken and rice and this other green vegetable for 20K (about 1 dollar). Im still amazed by how cheap food is here. As we were walking back it began the downpour on us. I dont think I have ever been in a rain worse than that, I was completely drenched from head to toe in seconds. I guess we got a little taste of monsoon season which is supposed to begin in a few weeks. Then we had a site visit with Dewayne Morris. The speaker was very impressive. He was a great speaker and came across as extremely intelligent. He views on the Vietnam's economy were very interesting. We then took a motor bike to the market. That was crazy. The driver was weaving in and out of traffic and driving on the wrong side of the road, but that wasnt because he was a bad driver, that's just how it is here. The ride itself was about a buck, completely worth it. I bought cobra wine at the market it looks so so cool. Theres an actual cobra in it. I'm intimidated to try it, but its something that I need to do. Later that night we went to the market again with Coa and Chee (again spelling) who were nice enough to take us. They were much better bargainers than we were haha. After that we went out to Majestic which was closed, but still was a sweet view of the river. As we were looking for some place else to go we accidently went into a brothel. There were about 20 girls smiling at us and one white guy at the bar. We realized as soon as we walked in what it was and turned around, the guards were laughing at us haha. Then we did some work! We sat on little kiddie chairs around a little kiddie table and drank beer. Amazing. No wonder its so popular here, it was so fun. Well thats it for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment